05 February, 2009

So, you might ask, "What is a Causehead?"

Well, this is an interesting story.

Because of all the causes/organizations/nonprofits that I'm involved with, I'd always be talking about them at the dinner table with family. "Poverty this, Homeless that, Get donations for them, These people are slighted"....the list could go on.

But my mom and sister, who are very loving people, never the less, liked to take "advantage" of these moments. Knowing how I would react to stereotypical or blatantly ignorant/bigoted statements, they would intentionally say something off color to get my reaction (note: they truly don't mean the things they say, they just say them to get me riled up). Needless to say, I would start talking about a law that would unfairly limit benefits to those who were in need, how an organization was working so hard to meet demands on services but still falling behind or describe the plight of a particular group.

One night, after a particularly passionate 'rant' of mine, my sister blurts out, "God Ericka, you're such a causehead". Thus I must give credit to her for this word that I so affectionately use in reference to myself.

I didn't think too much about that word until about a year ago. Many friends and colleagues were hinting here and there that I should do some sort of consulting or at least hang my shingle out there to help others, whether I got paid for it or not didn't really matter to me. I tried for weeks and weeks to think of what I would call such an organization or business. I was driving through downtown Lexington one day after work and at the corner of Main and Newtown, it hit me - "Causehead". It is still a work in progress. And while life, work, school and volunteering everywhere does put a hamper on time, I'm sure you will see something with it eventually.

So until my next post, go out and be a "causehead" yourself. Someone wil be very thankful you did.

A grassroots goodnight,
E.

No comments:

Post a Comment